Friday, October 5, 2007

Into the Fray

As you may or may not know, we have made a major transition in our family’s lifestyle this year. My son is going to public school and every day is still a heart ache for me in some ways. It is so hard for me to watch him walk into the doors of that "sacred place of learning". My heart is in my throat when I think about all that he must face there each day.

We have long been in the habit of reading the bible together as a family. We are still doing that, though it is rather tricky to get all of us together these days. But my husband and I have determined to send our son off with a word from the bible and a daily prayer of protection and guidance for him. We have been reading a bit of Proverbs to him each day before school. We all get up early and spend just a few minutes reading some of those words of wisdom to get him started on his day. Then we say a short prayer together.

For those who do not believe in the words of the bible, reading words of inspiration or motivation could provide a great start to your child’s day. Sharing stories of people who have succeeded or overcome or have been through hard times; reading quotes or poems or words of wisdom from any source you deem important. These words will be a tie between you and your child and will hopefully give them some thoughts and insights to hang onto as they daily enter the fray.

No comments: