Wednesday, July 9, 2008

skip bo

We had a great time playing Skip Bo last night. It is apparently based on an older game called "Spite and Malice". It is a good family game for kids of all ages. The younger ones may need some help, but partnered up with someone else, they can join in as well.

We have an old set, which includes face cards and not all numbered cards, and have not played in years. It was funny me trying to remember the rules. I think I must have combined the rules from two or three different games. We ended up "stuck" and nobody could play. Upon further inspection, I found the rules in the closet! It is not a hard game to play.

There are three decks of cards. Each person has a stack of cards they are trying to get rid of. Aces go in the middle with each player able to build up on them through a king. Once the king has been played, the stack is removed and another can be started. There are also up to four discard stacks allowed. It reminded me of a sort of single player "Pounce" or "Nertz" game.

If you want to get up a game for your family, you can buy a set of cards , or I think you could play by combining three decks. You can find the rules here or elsewhere on the web.

2 comments:

NNA said...

Hi, I found your blog post through a search for "Nertz". It is cool to see others that know about the game. I hope you don't mind but I wanted to let you know about playnertz.com, the site for the National Nertz Association. There is a bunch of interesting Nertz information there and you can also find out how to play Nertz online there. I hope you will check it out. Feel free to join and also let your friends and family know. Thanks

silken said...

ha ha, thanks! our family originally called it "Pounce" but everyone else I know calls it Nertz. I know of some folks who would really like that site!

thanks for stopping by! :)