Monday, February 28, 2011

conservation

Teaching kids to conserve energy is a great way to start learning how to be better about it ourselves. It is important to model the behavior and to show ways we can conserve. Working together as a family is a great way to help save our earth today and for the future. This guest article by Antone Medina gives a good idea on one way to start conserving together:

I Rode On One Of Baltimore, Maryland's New Green Technologies

Thanks for the article from Antone Medina

I've begun thinking about green technology since I rode on the Maryland Transit Authority's new buses. I had to journey to Walmart to pick up a prescription, so I thought I'd catch the bus. I was impressed. The ride is much smoother than the bus used to be. There was no sound of air brakes swooshing, either at the bus stop or when I was riding. There was no sign of emissions from the bus when I watched it stop at the bus stop. That impressed me as well, because you know what a choking diesel cloud usually arises when the bus takes off. That was nice, not to smell it.
Think of the gas saved by using hybrid buses. In the neighborhood of 500,000 gallons per year at roughly 3.50 per gallon, that's going to put a serious cramp in the oil situation. Now if we could do that with cars, this country could stand on its own feet and not be ransomed by the oil producing countries. Suits me. You know, I'd expect to see home energy savings(www.energysavings.com) through green technology, but beginning with vehicles is a good place. God knows, we're in our cars more than we are at home. At any rate, it was a nice ride on a bus using hybrid technology which means cleaner air and less gasoline consumption.

No comments: