Monday, December 22, 2008

finding the right gift

We always love buying gifts for each other at Christmas. I think it's important for the kids to be able to find gifts they want to give as well. When they were little I let them help me make things to give to people. As they grew, they wanted to pick out special little things to be just from them. We would let them pick out items at the dollar store that would be appropriate gifts. As they got to be tween aged, I would let them go around the store by themselves choosing items and even let them check out alone (as I stood nearby keeping an eye on them without trying to see the gift they were getting me.) Now as teens they can choose great gifts and pretty much spend their own money. Having Dad take them shopping for me and me take them shopping for Dad is another great approach to keeping gift giving special. Letting kids choose their own gifts is important and teaches them to be selfless gift givers. It is also lots of fun to see what they have picked out for everyone!

No comments: